Principalities

Mike Baker mbaker at rapp.com
Tue Sep 17 08:55:00 PDT 1996

To paraphrase Ioseph of Locksley (or someone looking suspiciously like him
when the serial numbers were slapped back on Locks&Keys...)

That, son, was a lampoon. Not a spittoon, not a lost loon, not a buffoon,
but a lampoon.

Estrill's posting falls into that category of items obviously associated
with regional humor. If one is familiar with the original "joke", the
transmogrification is all the better appreciated (Original begins "Why is it
so windy in Oklahoma?...": full text not really suitable to an open forum,
at least the way *I* was raised to be a gentleman).

I am certain that no ill-will was intended. Estrill *plainly* labelled it as
"an attempt at humor".

Yer average Ansteorran loves the Calontiri: y'all make a fortunate buffer
between us'ns and the Midrealm, which is special & nice after them three
"unpleasantnesses" got pumped up sumthin' fierce in people's 'majernations.

And that, my friend, was more of an attempt at humor - labelled as such for
the humor-impaired. In the immortal words of that noted philosopher Foghorn
of Leghorn, "I'm joshing with ya, son!"

Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard)  s.k.a. Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri
al-Amra
     currently residing in Barony of the Steppes, Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mike C. Baker                      mbaker at rapp.com
Any opinions expressed are obviously my own unless explicitly stated
otherwise!

 ---- quoted material follows ------
At 03:11 PM 9/16/96 -0700, you [Estrill] wrote:
>Just to slightly rework a joke:
>  Calontir sucks, that's why southern Ansteorra doesn't fall into the Gulf.
>Estrill
>(this is an attempt at humor. if this had been an actual valid piece of
>humor, warning sirens would have blown and you would have been directed
>to roll on the floor, laughing, with [your choice of drink] coming out
>your nose. this was only an attempt at humor.)
As a Calontiran, I am at a loss to find humor in this joke.  I made my home
in Ansteorra for three happy years, and I would like to remember it as a
place of hospitality rather than ethnocentric hostility.
Donato