principalities

Larkin O'Kane larkin at apache.webstar.net
Thu Sep 19 07:39:47 PDT 1996

On 19 Sep 96 , Richard Bainter wrote about Re: principalities:

> I believe e-mail will eventually. Unfortunately, until all Kingdom
> Officials are on the net, it shouldn't happen. One can't blame them
> that.

Nor fault them for it!! It is not my place to lay blame for another's
decisions.

> > I do not understand why HRM does not wish to treat personal e-mail
> > as official correspondence but it is his decision.
>
> Lack of personal connectivity? I wouldn't want personal, let alone
> official, email going into someone else's mailbox.

I did not mean to state that there were no valid reasons; just that I
did not know what those reasons are in this case. [Nor is it required
that I know for that matter] It just seemed odd to me that a personal
phone call would be considered an official expression of opinion and
a personal email message not.

> Having email is not a requirement for any Kingdom office nor for
> entering Crown. (Although this may change since I assume the Deputy
> Chronicler will have to have one. *grin*)

Highly desirable, but certainly not a requirement (except in the case
of the Deputy Chronicler, of course.) :)

> Admittedly most people can get it, but at what cost? Does everyone
> even have a computer yet?

With the advent of free e-mail (www.juno.com for those interested)
the only cost would be the computer/modem setup. Those connected to
a service (AOL, PRODIGY, GENIE, etc...) could end up paying through
the nose for connectivity.

>  "I want to be called. COTTONTIPS.

There has GOT to be an interesting story here <GR>.  You must tell it
someday.

Larkin
===
If you have a friend you trust well,    | Lord Larkin O'Kane
        go often to see him;            | Trelac, Ansteorra
for brush and high grass will overgrow  | Charlie Cain
        the road on which no one walks  | San Angelo, Texas, USA
-- Havamal                              | larkin at webstar.net