BOUNCE ansteorra at eden.com: Admin request (fwd)

Larkin O'Kane larkin at apache.webstar.net
Thu Sep 19 08:51:35 PDT 1996

On 19 Sep 96 ,  Diarmuit Ui Dhuinn spoke:

> <"Larkin O'Kane" <larkin at apache.webstar.net>>
> >I do not understand why HRM does not wish to treat personal e-mail
> >as official correspondence but it is his decision. I find it much
> >faster than USMAIL and much cheaper than long distance phone calls.
> >[I recall making contributions to help pay a previous kings phone
> >bills]
>
> I would imagine that it is because not everyone has access to it
> (for example, here in Northkeep, of the 50 to 70 people who I have
> seen regularly at Populace meetings (this is an estimate), I *know*
> of 10 who have e-mail, including myself.  While most of those are
> fairly reliable people for transmitting information, judging from
> the "oh God, not again" looks I've seen when the topic of the Rialto
> and the Ansteorra list show up, most people are not inclined to
> readily believe information from the 'Net because there is a
> perception that it *can't* be valid since a) not everyone is getting
> it evenly that way, and b) the 'Net's just a fad anyway.

My father's advice was to "believe nothing you hear and only half of
what you see." but he never lived to see an internet newsgroup either
<gr>

It has also been suggested that since this mostly shows how the
populace benefits from email, rather than how the crown would
benefit that I might want to mention next time, that the crown can
read the email at his convenience unlike a telephone call. Or that
copies can be kept for future referance. I'm sure they get plenty of
late-night calls that they would rather not get.

> Moreover, since many people who don't have email or 'Net access seem
> to think that "Internet People are all pornographers, child
> molestors, hackers and slackers" (and YES, this IS a quote I have
> heard), they may not be readily interested in doing things to align
> themselves with that sort of person.  The reputation that groups
> such as the Rialto have (whether deservedly or not) of being a
> medium where hotheads can explode, volcanically spewing molten rumor
> and gaseous vitriol, destroying everything of worth in the path of
> their self-indulgence, *might* disincline people such as HM and the
> Kingdom Seneschal from accepting anything even remotely connected
> with that as a valid medium for distributing information.

True enough, unfortunately. It's hard to separate the wheat from the
tares. At least until it's on the winnowing floor.

Again, I did not say there were no reasons for this decision . Just
that I did not understand what they were. I will not AGAIN attribute
a reason for HRM actions (or inaction) without his saying what they
are. I do not "sit in the seat", nor do I "call the shots." I am but
an interested person who is working to help make this dream a
reality.

Larkin
===

If you have a friend you trust well,    | Lord Larkin O'Kane
        go often to see him;            | Trelac, Ansteorra
for brush and high grass will overgrow  | Charlie Cain
        the road on which no one walks  | San Angelo, Texas, USA
-- Havamal                              | larkin at webstar.net