principalities

Richard Bainter pug at interval.net
Fri Sep 20 05:18:05 PDT 1996

> True, email can be printed out, just like real mail.  On the other hand, I
> don't believe there is any real way to authenticate the sender.

Although mostly true, not totally. There are options like PGP that let
someone use encryption/signatures for truely important stuff. This lets
someone know who it's from with a fairly high level of certainty. As
well, if truly private, it can be encrypted so the causal observer can't
grab it and decode it.

Btw, you can't really "authenticate" USMail either. It's just a
"reliable" transport method. With most poeple typing things now adays,
all you have to "forge" is a signature, if necessary.

Ciao,

--
Phelim Uhtred Gervas  | "I want to be called. COTTONTIPS. There is something