Pros and Cons of Principalities (wasRe: principalities)

Mitchell, Paul MITCHELL at dallas.genphysics.com
Tue Sep 24 06:51:00 PDT 1996

Galen replies to Gunnora -
_______________
>Also, as a peer, another Pro would be that Peers would hopefully be able to
>travel to all parts of their new Principalities/eventual Kingdoms and would
>therefore have a better knowledge of who the upcoming candidates for the
>various Peerages are, and how their skills stack up.  Right now I've found
>that I don't get to travel much to Oklaholma, and OK Laurels don't always
>make it as far south as Bjornsborg, for instance...  I have to say that
>while it IS NOW my responsibility to get my fat *** up to the northern
>reaches and to learn about candidates up there, the mundane reality is that
>I can't always afford it in terms of $$ or of time (I usually have to take
>at least one day off from work for travel time if I don't want to be
>completely exhausted at work the next week).  In this sense, the Peers of
>all flavors could better serve the Kingdom/Principality in which they
reside
>just by hopefully being better informed.
>
>Just another thought to stack with the discussion!
>
>::GUNNORA::

I'm sorry Gunnora, but it sounds like you feel guilty about not having
travelled
to Oklahoma lately, and you want a principality to excuse you from needing
to go up there.  With principalities, you would not be better informed about
artists
in the north or the west, you'd just have a good excuse to ignore them.
 They
would not benefit more under principalities from the teaching and example of
Gunnora Hallakava, instead they'd be less likely to have heard of you, or
care if they did.

It's a bummer that every peer can't blanket the whole kingdom, learning
about
up-and-comers and teaching what we can.  All we can do is our best.  That's
going to vary from person to person.  So you'll meet Oklahoma people in
Steppes or Elfsea; that's less likely under this three-principality
proposal.  And
when you do, you'll both be less likely to care.

But under principalities, we won't be better informed about candidates,
we'll be
paying attention to far fewer candidates.

 - Galen