Principalities

Richard Bainter pug at interval.net
Tue Sep 24 09:23:31 PDT 1996

> So, Larkin, are you saying that you don't get any pleasure from the
> knowledge that they give awards for the activity you're enjoying,

Although I am not Larkin, I will answer for myself.

I, for one, enjoy my activities for the activity itself. Awards/recognition
are nice added bonuses, but not even close to necessary. I enjoy creating
the different mailing lists, brewing, doing the Baronial newsletter, etc,
and would not stop doing a single one of them if awards didn't exist at all.

> and
> that if you should be noticed doing it well, you might get one of those
> awards?

I'd rather have the praise of my friends than the cookie of an award.

I've even told my lady that if I ever think about *trying* to get an
award to slap me silly cause then I'm doing what I enjoy for the wrong
reasons. Heck, I don't even plan on entering any *competitions* with my
brewing, although I may do displays every now and then. (Usually from my
camp though so I don't have to stumble far. *grin*)

> I'm not suggesting it's anyone's primary reason for going
> to events, but doesn't it make the event that much sweeter?  Would
> you be just as happy to go to events that lack that aspect?

Maybe. Yes.

> I think
> most people would prefer to keep that possibility, and that this would
> tend to influence (not compel) them to go events within their own
> principality, and not to others.

This may be the reason it wouldn't affect *my* attending events. I have
a different outlook. As well, my friends won't change, so I won't have
to worry about losing their respect or appreciation.

Ciao,

--
Phelim Uhtred Gervas  | "I want to be called. COTTONTIPS. There is something