Calendar on the WWW

Burke McCrory burkemc at ionet.net
Tue Sep 24 14:02:12 PDT 1996

At 02:33 PM 9/24/96 -0700, you wrote:

>>> Gunnora said:
>>> If the calendar is available outside our official
>>> publication, where is the incentive to become a paid member?  Are we not
>>> doing the organization as a whole a disservice?
>
>>Leonardo said:
>>This where I do not have the experience to make any
>>arguments. I think we could be doing a great service by making
>>information we would normally receive easier to retrieve.
>
>Only a few months of the calendar is printed in the Black Star.
>Seneschals get a current calendar every month that is 13 months long. If
>you ask your seneschal to view it, they're *supposed* to let you (member
>or non-member has never been differentiated, as far as I know). This
>could be a time-consuming process though. (You ask, he doesn't have it
>this week, next he forgets or you're not there, etc.)
>
>IMHO, better to have it posted to a web site (or at least on this list)
>where access is almost instantaneous. Not everyone is going to be
>interested in a 13-month long calendar. It mostly provides help in
>planning what dates might be free for the next local event (or it could
>be used to decide when to take a vacation). All it really helps people
>know is that yes, group X really is holding their event Y, it's on the
>calendar on date Z.
>
>Estrill
>
>(of course, I'm just one of those people who enjoys *knowing*)

Putting the Kingdom Calendar online will not hurt the Black Star.  The
event announcements are the things that are really important.  The Calendar
is a convenience that is there for quick reference.  Also I think if you
look now some groups are already putting their event notices up on the
local (unofficial) web site.

In Service to the Dream

Sir Burke Kyriell MacDonald

mka. Burke McCrory