principalities...borders

Mark Harris mark_harris at quickmail.sps.mot.com
Thu Sep 26 11:26:52 PDT 1996

Baron Aodhan Ite an Fhithich states:

>Stefan probably has a Rialto archive on fealty.  I seem to recall a thread
on
>the subject (which Tadhg contributed quite a bit to) in the not too distant
>past.

Thank you for the plug. Yes, I have two files on fealty:

fealty-art        (27K)  1/18/94    Article on fealty by Ioseph of Locksley.
fealty-msg        (23K)  5/22/96    Fealty in SCA and period. Feudalism.

The first is a good overview of fealty in period and the SCA including
differnet type of fealty. It does touch a little bit on fealty to different
levels in the SCA.

The second doesn't discuss this specific issue but talks about different
types
of fealty, how it varied over time and the differance between homage and
fealty.
It also has several reviews on books discussing fealty. In one message,
Hossein
(Lion of Ansteorra)/ Greg Rose (an accomplished medieval scholar) mentions
that
he is writing a book on fealty. I don't know if he has finished this book or
not.

For those interested, these files are available at:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html
Or from me by email in text or Word format.

Stefan li Rous
Barony of Bryn Gwlad
markh at risc.sps.mot.com