Throwing axes

Scott White swhite at onr.com
Thu Sep 26 14:01:01 PDT 1996

Thanks to all who answered my throwing axe query. I made two this weekend
based on the following recipe and they fly FOREVER and hit like a ball-peen
hammer. They also look really sharp, with a graceful curve. Good especially
for early personaes like me.

The design may take a little refining to make sure it doesn't violate the 1
1/4" rule, but I'm working on that. As soon as I get it right, I'll post
illustrated plans on my website & give you guys the URL.

Here's the method again if you missed it:

>Construction starts with a length of old garden hose, 3/4" to 1" in
>diameter, rubber type preferred, but vinyl will do, about 36" long.

>Cut a piece of ethylfoam (boffer foam, though closed cell foam works as
>well) about 4" square and 1" - 2" thick.  Cut a groove all around the
>edge.  Fold one end of the hose around the foam so that all the edges of
>the foam are covered.  Double the remainder of the hose to form a handle.
>Tie the whole thing into position with strapping (fiberglass/filiment)
>tape.  Wrap some open cell or closed cell foam around the butt of the
>handle and around the edge of the head and tape into place.  Wrap the head
>of the axe with duct tape.

Enjoy!

Gnith
<swhite at onr.com>