Throwing axes

Casey Weed nextristan at n-link.com
Thu Sep 26 15:55:49 PDT 1996

Gnith wrote:
>Thanks to all who answered my throwing axe query. I made two this weekend
>based on the following recipe and they fly FOREVER and hit like a ball-peen
>hammer. They also look really sharp, with a graceful curve. Good especially
>for early personaes like me.
<<snip>>
>>Construction starts with a length of old garden hose, 3/4" to 1" in
>>diameter, rubber type preferred, but vinyl will do, about 36" long.
>
>>Cut a piece of ethylfoam (boffer foam, though closed cell foam works as
>>well) about 4" square and 1" - 2" thick.  Cut a groove all around the
>>edge.  Fold one end of the hose around the foam so that all the edges of
>>the foam are covered.  Double the remainder of the hose to form a handle.
>>Tie the whole thing into position with strapping (fiberglass/filiment)
>>tape.  Wrap some open cell or closed cell foam around the butt of the
>>handle and around the edge of the head and tape into place.  Wrap the head
>>of the axe with duct tape.
>
>Enjoy!
>
>Gnith
><swhite at onr.com>

Ld. Dieter here (In Warlord capacity),

I saw the results of Gniths work at the Bryn Gwlad fighter practice and I
have to say that I have NEVER seen a better throwing axe for SCA combat.  It
really is effective, to a point where I would think it should be a priority
to make sure the Marshallate gets a chance to see them (i.e. Sir Karl as
well as all the other marshalls of the Kingdom) to get input and- hopefully-
to have them passed for our use at War.
Remember, folks, he who has the longest range gets to kill _first_.  This
axe design is wieldly enough to carry up to, say, four in your belt without
slowing you down a bit.
Imagine the looks of surprise in the faces of the Trimaran troops when,
fifteen feet before we should be engaged, our second rank sends 20 or 30 of
these little buggers at them.... almost brings a tear to your eye, doesnt it?
Vivat Gnith for his wonderful initiative towards our War Effort!

Dieter
Casey and Coni-

Marriges are forged in Heaven... as are thunder and lightening.