Lyonesse was Re: principalities...border

Matthew R. Popalisky mpopali at comp.uark.edu
Sun Sep 29 10:17:22 PDT 1996

On Sun, 29 Sep 1996, Michael A. Chance wrote:

> OK, here's a (potentially) dumb question: If most everyone really
> likes "high persona" events like Lyonesse and the Pennsic Pas d'Armes
> and other similar real medieval tourney formats, why do we keep doing
> modern NCAA-style elimination tourneys?

1st, The period turnaments *I* have heard of, none gets it down to one
person (though I hear the knights just *love* Pas d' Armes - fight and
fight and fight....).  I guess we could have a war to determine the
victor, it certainly would be an interesting change.  If I am wrong about
the tourny thing, I am sure someone will say so, and I invite them to.

2nd, it is the Society for Creative ANACHRONYSM.

3rd, wasn't it our own Master (I think) Gerald the Herald who sat down one
day in a fit of
inspiration and made up the ultimate double elimination tree set?  Of
course, this is because that's what we use, so that's circular, isn't it.

These may not be great reasons, but here they are

ex-listmistress dabbler,
Kateryn Heathrydge