Tournaments

Mike Baker mbaker at rapp.com
Mon Sep 30 12:05:00 PDT 1996

Aww, Gunthar: I even *labelled* that portion of my words as humor. I knew
already what the difference(s) are. Yes, a "snowball" is a relatively
unusual variant upon the usually separated combat formats of melee and
tournament.

However, there may be a tutelary purpose served here for all of us: have you
ever seen a "snowball" that was NOT associated with a tournament?

Other than possibly a war practice, or at a fighter practice, I don't
remember one. Then, I haven't been making it to as many events lately as I
would like. (Missed Elfsea Defender due to illness, dammit.)

The only form of SCA *tournament* I am aware of where I can think of a
non-snowball melee being involved is where formal "melee teams" are formed
in advance, and compete and advance as a team.  ("Advance" may be subject to
interpretation: assignment by the Crown / other noble; order of sign-in at
the list-mistress table; trained together for weeks; etc.) Any others of
particular note I should add to my knowledge?

Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra
     currently residing in Barony of the Steppes, Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mike C. Baker                      mbaker at rapp.com
Any opinions expressed are obviously my own unless explicitly stated
otherwise!