Lyonesse was

Carey McClure applelk at eden.com
Mon Sep 30 15:25:23 PDT 1996

Gunnora Hallakarva wrote:

> >> Quoth Mikjal...

    'continued

> [...]
> >be misconstrued ;)
> >
> >Caladin
>
> Heilsa, All!
>
>         The other factor is initial cost... onec you've been doing a high
> persona event for a while, your group builds a bunch of regalia and props...
> your startup cost for getting these together can be very high.  Also, these
> types of events require lavish hospitality to feel "right" in many cases.
> And it takes a lot of people working together to make it happen.
>
>         To take Lyonesse, which I know well, there is an autocrat who is
> responsible for doing standard autocrat things like getting the site,
> porta-potties, pavilions, list ropes, etc.  We have also Lady Lyonesse, aka
> Baroness Mari, who arranges much of the pagentry involved.  Then we have the
> Ladies of the four Fields:  Lady Falcon, Lady Bear, LAdy Stag and Lady
> Dragon.  These four individuals are what make the event work.  It's so
> demanding that we won't let anyone run a field more than two years running
> to avoid burnout.  Each Lady provides (out of her own pocket!, or donated by
> her assistants) whatever food and drink she thinks she needs to be
> hospitable... this has traditionally been a feast for about 50 to 100
> people, and multiply that by four fields.  Then each Lady also provides
> favors for her Field, a token of some sort that the fighter keeps as a
> souvenier of the Tourney.  And frequently, a similar gift is given to the
> lady who sponsored the fighter.  Many of the Ladies hire/bribe/barter to
> provide musicians for their pavillion.  And each Lady is responsible for
> providing prizes for their Field's Champion, a gift for his lady, and a
> prize for their Artisan.
>
>         The props don't end with the sponsors of the event... the attendees
> also contribute.  To have the appropriate pagentry and presence, many
> fighters and their sponsoring ladies costume an entire entourage to attend,
> and plan medieval gestures that will be exceedingly good theater (such as
> The White Knight who released a flight of doves as his party entered).  Each
> fighter must come prepared to pay ransoms for those times when he is
> defeated, and pride means that one's ransoms should be commesurate with
> one's rank...
>
>         And, overall each particpant, whether sponsor or attendee, must
> bring their willing suspension of disbelief.  They must be able to abjure
> talking about this week's Star Trek episode, or that $%#!$ computer at work.
> They must also be able NOT to say "That's not period!"
>
>         Overall, it's a huge amount of money, time, and sheer hard work to
> make a high persona event happen, and even more is required to make it
> happen well.  But I think it's worthwhile.
>
> Wassail,
>
> ::GUNNORA::
> Former Lady of the Field of the Falcon, Lyonnesse
>
> Gunnora Hallakarva
> Herskerinde
> Ek eigi visa (th)ik hversu o(dh)lask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna

	Very well put,

			I look forward to events were when its over you don't know how
to drive a car. I look forward to the next Lyonesse event ' big star on calendar'.
	Omly one was to say it, I have seen persons using it here
			" Living the dream !!! "

	I am looking forward to bjornsborg XX. I have heard many nice things about it.

	Very happy to be in the dream again.......

	Connor Mac Clure