Request from Talana

Stephen Pursley herron at oklahoma.net
Wed Apr 2 08:13:59 PST 1997

> On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, Jennifer Carlson wrote:
> > I am looking for the wordings used on the scrolls of the various
> > baronial orders (... Oak of the Steppes, etc.) to use as examples
>
> The Steppes' baronial awards do not have scrolls of any form.  There
> is only the token.
>
> Major reason I've heard: the Oak is armigerous, so the Crown's
> approval is needed (and therefore asked for in advance).  However, a
> scroll would have to be signed by the Crown.  Having a scroll for the
> Crown to sign might make them feel more proprietary about it, and make
> it psychologically easier to refuse or to make one of their own.
>
> (Would it be written as "We N. and N. King and Queen ... bestow ..."?
> What is the practice in other baronies -- does the scroll say it's
> from the Baron/ess or from the Crown?)

In Namron we use a scroll and a token.  The scroll is signed by the
Crown and the Baron.

> Minor reason: nobody has to bother a scribe 15 minutes before court
> because the Baron found that the scroll was misplaced.  If it's just
> insignia they're short of, it's easy to just bum one from someone and
> replace it at leisure.

In Namron, the Order of the Heart of the Sable Storm is given out so
seldom (we average a little over one a year), we take the time to do a
very fancy scroll.  The Baron knows who's getting a Storm months before
a Namron event, so there is plenty of time to have a scroll made.

     Barat