Dirge for Gavral...

Jen jenster at gate.net
Sun Apr 13 15:10:17 PDT 1997

> Lords and Ladies...
>   I am but a humble member of the barony of Thescore in Aethelmarc
> looking
> to collect the verses to the birthday dirge.  If any of you would be
> willing
> to help, please do so.  I would be most greatful.
>
> Gavral Firschimal

***
Recently this fellow Gavral from the Barony of Thescore in Aethelmarc
requested any verses for the birthday dirge, properly known as the Volga
Birthday Song after the melody that it filks.  Here are most of the verses
that I know of...
                               Lord Jens Vetrar
                        aka Jen of Wyvernwood, Trimaris

Doom, destruction and despair,
People dying everywhere,
Happy Birthday, (unh!) Happy Birthday....

May the cities in your wake,
Burn like candles on your cake,
Happy Birthday, (unh!) Happy Birthday....

Hear the women wail and weep,
Kill them all but spare the sheep,
Happy Birthday, (unh!) Happy Birthday....

So you're twenty-nine again,
Don't tell lies to your old friends,
Happy Birthday, (unh!) Happy Birthday....

You must be wedded very soon,
The baby's due the next full moon,
Happy Birthday, (unh!) Happy Birthday....

People dying on the earth,
Go ahead eat your desert,
Happy Birthday, (unh!) Happy Birthday....

We brought you linen white as clouds,
Now we'll sit and sew your shroud,
Happy Birthday, (unh!) Happy Birthday....

It's your birthday, never fear,
You'll be dead this time next year,
Happy Birthday, (unh!) Happy Birthday....

'Twas bad enough your hair turned grey,
But now it's falling out, they say,
Happy Birthday, (unh!) Happy Birthday....

The Black Plague has just struck town,
You yourself feel quite run down,
Happy Birthday, (unh!) Happy Birthday....

They steal your sword, your gold, your house,
They take your sheep but not your spouse,
Happy Birthday, (unh!) Happy Birthday....

Your servants steal, your wife's untrue,
Your children plot to murder you,
Happy Birthday, (unh!) Happy Birthday....

Now you've reached the age you are,
Your demise cannot be far,
Happy Birthday, (unh!) Happy Birthday....

Though you're turning twenty-nine,
Age to you is like fine wine,
Happy Birthday, (unh!) Happy Birthday....

You saved the damsel in distress,
Now your social life's a mess,
Happy Birthday, (unh!) Happy Birthday....

Were I sitting in your shoes,
I'd go out and sing the blues,
Happy Birthday, (unh!) Happy Birthday....

Now you've lived another year,
And your death is drawing near,
Happy Birthday, (unh!) Happy Birthday....

Now your jail-bait days are done,
Let's go out and have some fun,
Happy Birthday, (unh!) Happy Birthday....

You're a period cook 'tis true,
Just ask the beetles in the stew,
Happy Birthday, (unh!) Happy Birthday....