The Rising of the Star

Lord Larkin O'Kane larkin at webstar.net
Thu Apr 17 10:35:46 PDT 1997

Well folks, Don Alden's massive memory has been consulted and
augmented by Master William Blackfox (much thanks to both).  The
result is supplied herewith. You will note that only eight of the
eighteen verses have credits.  If you know who wrote the others, I
would be most appreciatived if you would tell me. private email to
larkin at webstar.net please (no need to waste bandwidth).

Larkin
===

                          The Rising of the Star
          Tune: The Rising Of The Moon

Oh, now tell me, folk in Atenveldt, oh, have you heard it said
That the Sun upon your banner is now turned to bloody red.
We're coming from the Southlands; you don't know who we are:
We're your friends from Ansteorra by the rising of the Star.

 By the rising of the Star, by the rising of the Star,
 We're your friends from Ansteorra by the rising of the Star.

Oh now, many a foe has tried us on many a bloody field;
A precious few have beaten us, because we never yield.
We've powder for our cannon, grapeshot and boiling tar.
We're your friends from Ansteorra by the rising of the Star
 Chorus

Oh, now  tell me, Midrealm fighters, now look above your head:
The Dragon on your banner, it seems it's lying dead.
We're coming from the southlands; you don't know who we are:
We're your friends from Ansteorra by the rising of the Star.
 Chorus

Now, we have got Sir Simonn, who's called the Mountaingate;
That isn't silver acne, he's just dressed out in his plate.
He's got a shield of iron; a sword made from a spar.
He's a Count of Ansteorra by the rising of the Star.
 Chorus

We've got Duke Lloyd von Eaker, who's mighty for his size:
He shrugs off broken fingers and he'll mutilate your thighs.
He'll not be take lightly, though he stands but five-foot-four;
he's a viper clad in motley by the rising of the Star.
 Chorus

And then there is Duke Inman, whose name is known with fear:
He's deadly with a broadsword, but he's murder with a spear.
He's won the Crown fou... uhh... five..... no... six times now,
 not even breathing hard--
He's the Once and Every Other King of the rising of the Star.
 Chorus

I'll tell you of Sir Dinar, who won the fourteenth Crown,
When Duke Lloyd and Duke Inman yielded in the final round.
The shout went up to Heaven and echoed near and far,
"Vivat for Ansteorra! and the rising of the Star."
 Chorus

And of course, there is Duke Sigmund, of winged feet renowned,
With shades and Celtic cowboy hat to wear beneath his crown.
He's left this mortal realm, now; we see him from afar,
For he's gone on to BOD-hood in a black and gold golf car.
 Chorus

Now I'll introduce Don Tivar, who bears a rapier keen.
His sword is dedicated to the service of the Queen.
A Pelican, a White Scarf, a gentleman by far,
He can parry anything--except the rising of the Star.
 Chorus

Now the Ansteorran summers are seven months in length.
The rivers lose their water and the fighters lose their strength.
They're swooning in the tourneys and fainting in the wars.
We long for cool November in the rising of the Star.
 Chorus

Oh, the Ansteorran weather, it always aims to please.
The temperature is ninety-two, with snow up to your knees.
There's hurricanes, tornadoes, and rains of boiling tar--
It's always something different by the rising of the Star.
 Chorus

Oh, the Ansteorran landscape is pleasing to the eye,
But there's thorns upon the flowers and there's thunder in the
sky.
The animals wear armour; though it sounds a bit bizarre,
It's just home sweet Ansteorra by the rising of he Star.
 Chorus

I'll ask you all a riddle they'll be talking of for years:
What stands on twenty-three legs by the side of Calontir?
It helped take the Eastrealm banner at the 19th Pennsic War--
It's your friends from Ansteorra by the rising of the Star.
 Chorus

Oh the Ansteorran ladies, they'll make you lovely wives,
But check their skirts and bodices, for they always carry knives.
Theysay this ironmongery their beauty will not mar;
They'll thrill you or they'll kill you by the rising of the Star.
 Chorus

And the Ansteorran children are ever so polite,
But don't turn your back upon them, for the little (darlings)
bite!
Their cunning none surpasses; you know they'll travel far.
 They're the heirs of Ansteorra by the rising of the Star.
 Chorus

Now the bards of Ansteorra strive for authenticity,
So they'll sing you Irish drinking songs of the nineteenth
century.
Now they're fun to sing, and clever, but they've gone too bloody
far
When "The Risin' of the Moon" becomes "The Rising of the Star"!
 Chorus

Oh, we're just psychotic killers; we love to maim and gunch.
Don't pack us any baskets--we'll just eat your dead for lunch!
We're brothers of the Normans and daughters of the Czars;
We're your friends from Ansteorra by the rising of the Star.
 Chorus

Now, we've sung of how we've laughed at life;
     we've sung of how we've fought,
And we've told a tale of love or two, and drank an awful lot.
But when the tourneys are all over, now the story travels far
As we sing of times remembered by the rising of the star.
 Chorus

Oh, the Ansteorran winter is windy and it's cold,
But it brings to us the spirit of the Yuletide days of Old.
All ye royalty, nobility and gentry, near and far,
Drink a toast unto the season  And the rising of the Star!
 Chorus

Credits (alphabetical):
     Alden Pharamond          v 8 & 16
     Balthazar of Endor       v 1, 2 & 17