The Rising of the Star

Richard L. Rohde talen at microtutors.com
Fri Apr 18 08:35:34 PDT 1997

Lord Larkin O'Kane responded to:

On Fri, 18 Apr 1997 01:45:50 -0500, Sir Burke Kyriell MacDonald wrote:

>I notice in the various versions of this song that have been posted here
>over the last few days that some of the verses have change over the years.
>A few have become more (politically Correct??).  So do we hold true to the
>original versions or do we teach the newer versions of those verses?

:Leave it up to the performer!
----------
The performer will perform the way they learned.  What Sir Burke is asking
is "what should the TEACHER teach?".  I'm in favor of the original.
Besides, it goes against the fabric of a TRUE Bard to change something they
pass on, as one of the roles of a Bard was to pass on oral tradition in a
society that was basically illiterate.

Just my two pfennigs worth.

Talen
---------