FW: Current Dance classes at Pennsic

Ron.Smith at wharton.upenn.edu Ron.Smith at wharton.upenn.edu
Fri Apr 18 13:56:52 PDT 1997

----------
From: charles
To: sca-dance
Subject: Current Dance classes at Pennsic
Date: Friday, April 18, 1997 1:42PM

Greetings from Midair!

The following is a list of all the classes that good gentles have
volunteered to teach. The times are still not schedualed, and I will
do my best to accomodate all the requests.  *Please* e-mail or call me
(313-913-0245) soon if you wish to register to teach a class.  You can
post to this list - I'll schedual you that way if you like, and then
everyone else can see what you are teaching.

Please forward this to any other lists you deem appropriate.

See you at war! - Midair

Instructor:  Rosina del Bosco Chiaro
Classes:

Piva: This dance was considered bumpkinish by the fifteenth-century,
fit only for peasants, yet it was still done at parties when everyone
was well pickled.  Aside from the basic piva, three dances primarily
using the piva step, Petit Riens, Amoroso and Belfiore, will be
taught.  This is a class for all levels of experience.

Quadernaria:  This class will teach fifteenth-century Italian dances which
remain entirely in 4/4 time. (Most English country dances are in this time.)
The class will start with the steps needed, and will include dances from the
following: Anello, Gelosia, Rosina, Vita di Cholino.  This is a class for
all skill levels.

Fifteenth-Century Italian Balli:  This class is an intensive look at the mixed
tempo balli.  The four basic dance tempi (piva, quadernaria, saltarello and
bassadanza) will be covered, as well as dancing one dance type to the other
tempi, improvisation and ornamentation.  About four balli will also be taught.
Beginners are welcome, but may find the class progresses very fast.

Instructor:  Delbert von Strassburg
Classes:

Improvisation in Italian Dance
This class goes through a few 15th and 16th Century Italian dances and
looks at improvisation techniques, and clues in the dance for use in
improvisation.

Negri's Canary from Hell Negri's Il Canario is one of the most complex
dances in the Rennaisance repertoire.  This class is an introduction
to the dance form and this particular version.

Instructor:  Lord Henry of Maldon
Classes:

English Country Dances for Everybody. A few popular and easy country dances
(choreographed group dances), covering many of the basic steps and figures
of country dancing.

Branles for Everybody. A few French branles (group/couple dances), with an
introduction to the basic steps of branles.

Measures for Everybody. A few of the Old Measures (choreographed couple
dances) of Renaissance England, with an introduction to the basic steps of
measures.

French Galliard Steps & Style. The basic techniques of the late 16th-century
French galliard (a vigorous hopping, kicking, and jumping improvised dance)
as described by Arbeau, and some more advanced variations and related dances.

Non-Playford English Country Dances. Country dances from MS Sloane 3858,
including alternate forms of dances which also appear in
_The_English_Dancing_Master_ by John Playford.

Instructor:  The Honorable Lord William Redcape of Iron Mountain
Class:

The Inn's of Court Dances: This class is free.  We will learn dances
that have their oriigins in manuscripts that survive from the Inn's of
Court (The period places that housed lawyers and those wishing to
study law.)  Much of the reconstruction of these dances come from the
work of Master Trahaern ap Ieuan and Mistress Jane Lynn of Fenmere.
The types of dance we will be doing are Almans and Pavans.  This class
is for any level of dancer and there is no size limit.

--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that same God who endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect, had intended for us to forgo their use." - Galileo