FW: Trojan Horse Alert

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Mon Apr 21 14:49:14 PDT 1997

My apologies for replying to the widely cross-posted mail with more.

The U.S. Department of Energy Computer Incident Advisory Capability
(CIAC) has also issued an alert about the AOL4FREE.COM e-mail
attachment Trojan Horse.  Text upon request.

In the Symantec alert:
> That message [the previous AOL4FREE warning message] is still
> considered to be a hoax, as the process of opening an email cannot
> cause the events described to happen.

CIAC says:
> 3.  Reading an e-mail message with the Trojan Horse program as an
>     attachment will not run the Trojan Horse and will not do any
>     damage. Note that opening an attached program from within an
>     e-mail reader runs that attached program, which may make it
>     appear that reading the attachment caused the damage. Users
>     should keep in mind that any file with a .COM or .EXE extension
>     is a program, not a document and that double clicking or opening
>     that program will run it.
>
> CIAC still affirms that reading an e-mail message, even one with an
> attached program, can not do damage to a system. The attachment must
> be both downloaded onto the system and run to do any damage.

... which appears to say that, with some mail readers at least,
clicking on an attachment can cause it to run.  Do be aware of how you
mail reader works.  If it can run attached .COM or .EXE files, you
might want to look at disabling that feature, or at least knowing how
it works.

CIAC also says:

Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com