gypsies

ND Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Apr 24 06:20:00 PDT 1997

>I've  heard that they are a very " private" people, that doesn't really like
>being photographed,
>And I wonder how to act and approach them,and that kind of practical things..
>And do you know, who I maybe can contact, an organization or whatever, that
>can help me to get in touch with them?

I'm curious who it was that gave you the name of the Society for Creative
Anachronism in Texas and Oklahoma to get info about gypsies.
        I've been fascinated with gypsies since I was a little kid, so
here's what little I know.
        Yes they are an extremely private people.  In eastern Europe, they
are mostly treated as non-people.  They are distrustful and I don't blame
them.
A good recent book that has just come out is called "Bury Me Standing".  I
can get the name of the author and publisher if need be.  There is also a
world renown authority on the Rom at University of Texas here in Austin
where I work.  His name is Dr. Ian Hancock, his e-mail address is
xulaj at mail.utexas.edu.  He is of English Traveler or Rom descent.  I
recommend you read the book and then maybe contact Dr. Hancock.  The woman
who wrote the book spent a considerable amount of time researching and
making contacts.
        Culturally, the Rom are very different from western non-Rom
culture.  They have distinct health and cleanliness taboos, and have strong
male and female relationships.  "A Gift" which might be suitable would be
cigarettes or cigarette lighters.  But those are good almost anywhere.

        I hope this helps in a small way.

Sincerely,

N.D. Wederstrandt