ANST - Dyeing Irish Linen

Terry_A._Harper at hud.gov Terry_A._Harper at hud.gov
Mon Aug 4 15:33:44 PDT 1997

          Hi Barn!  Rhiain here.

          While Gunnora and other have mentioned several natural dyes
          for the color red, I must warn you of something.  Linen does
          not take or keep color very well.  Even if you are able to
          get a shade deeper than pink, you're chances of keeping it
          are slim.  In period, most linen was kept white, or natural.
          I think I've seen references to pale colors a few times, but
          that's about all I've been able to get on Linen unless it's
          a cotton blend, and then only with quite abit of cotten.
          Let me know if you need any books or references, I've got a
          pretty good size library on natural dyes and I'd be happy to
          copy anything you need or give you the ISBN if you'd like to
          get your own.

          In service,

          HL Rhiain ferch Muirgheal