ANST - Fw: info

Keith Duke duke at gte.net
Tue Aug 5 03:30:39 PDT 1997

Hadn't seen this on the list, got it from a friend & thought I would
forward it...

:
: >Date:    Mon, 4 Aug 1997 20:28:21 -0500
: >From:    "Martha K. John" <mjohn01 at MAIL.COIN.MISSOURI.EDU>
: >Subject: Viking voyage
: >
: >Hi, folks -
: >
: >Since I'm not currently on this list, you may have already talked this
: >information to death, but just in case you *don't* know about it, here
: >'tis:
: >
: >The August issue of the Land's End catalog includes a four page article
: >about the building of the Viking knarr "Snorri" for the "Viking 1000"
: >voyage, supposedly recreating the voyage of Leif Eriksson.  The article
: >includes a reference to the web site, which I have just visited and
found
: >fascinating.  Not only have they finished the ship, but they set sail on
: >July 16 with a crew of 12 from Narsarauq, Greenland to sail a circuitous
: >route that will eventually bring them to Newfoundland, where Eriksson
was
: >supposed to have landed.  The site includes information about the
building
: >of the ship (in a very period manner, as much as practical, and with
notes
: >about what things deviate from the regular period practice and why),
about
: >each of the crew members, about the voyage, about Vikings in general,
and
: >lots of other good stuff.  It even has a tracking map so you can see
where
: >they are today.  (Still hugging the west coast of Greenland at the
moment,
: >but about to strike off across the Davis Strait, I think.)  Anyway, if
: >you're interested, the site is:
: >
: >        http://www.Viking1000.org
: >
: >Have fun at Pennsic, y'all!
: >
: >        Alix
: >
: >        Martha K. John
: >        mjohn01 at mail.coin.missouri.edu
: >

Piotr

Keith Duke - duke at gte.net
Member, Society for Creative Anachronism
Piotr Balomirin syn Barsukov, Seneschal
Barony of Northkeep (In glorious, green Tulsa OK!)
Northkeep Power & Light - I'm Curley, Moe & Larry are the other two...