ANST - Posting anonymously

Lori Jones LJONES at ossm.edu
Wed Aug 6 19:09:08 PDT 1997

> Dennis wrote:
> part of my point is that this "Garth" person,
> who does not use his real name anywhere, also seems
> to have an invalid e-mail address involving a host
> that my ISP says does not exist.  Essentially, he or she
> is posting anonymously.

I agree that "Garth" isn't much of an identifier to most of us who
read this list.  However, his post wasn't *really* anonymous as he
did, at least, include a name of some sort.  People who intend to
post anonymously don't use even that.  As to his invalid return
address, well, we've all had problems with our servers on
occassion.  It wouldn't be very polite to assume that he's
intentionally disabled return contact.  While I don't share the
opinion that people who post anonymously are cowards (some are just
thoughtless and inconsiderate), I can agree that it seems a very
cowardly act.

As to signing one's "real" name to one's posts, I always include mine -
usually because I elect not to turn off my sig. file (my e-mail
address is in it).  However, I would probably confuse a great many
people out there if I signed my posts simply as "Lori Campbell".  The
SCA is full of aliases and those are the names we are known by.  Most
SCA'ers would be hard pressed to tell you the mundane names of even
those as well known as their Crown.

As to the inference that one should only sign their SCA name when
discussing medieval things - well, I thought that's what we're
here for..... yes?

Here's hoping to get back onto a subject that, if not exactly
medieval, might actually be of use to an SCA'er who reads this
list.  Not that what we were discussing wasn't, but.....

- Bs. Katrionna Heather MacLochlainn  (a.k.a. Kat)
  Writing from the Barony of Wiesenfeuer

Lori Campbell
Okla. School of Science and Mathematics
LJONES at ossm.edu