ANST - New question

Lenny Zimmermann zarlor at acm.org
Tue Aug 12 13:02:32 PDT 1997

On Tue, 12 Aug 1997 14:45:39 -0400 (EDT), Maestra Siobhan wrote:

>Most of us chose our personas fairly early in our SCA life, before we knew a
>lot about the various time periods and cultures.  My question is this:  if
>you had it all to do over again, would you choose the same time and culture?
> Would you choose a different one?  Why?

Ya'll are going to get real sick of hearing my persona views. :-)
Please remember that my persona is still pretty new, anyway, since I
have only been in the SCA for somewhat under 2 years. But, I would
definitely chooses the same time and culture. The more I learn and
focus on Italy in the first half of the Sixteenth Century the more
fascinated I become by the history, the culture, the people, the
ideas, etc.

>I'd think seriously about the Italian Renaissance if I were starting over.
> The clothes are more adaptable to the weather where I play, and the
>construction is much less tiresome.

Come, Luke. The force beckons you. Go with what you know is right. I
will guide you, as you know I am your Father.

Ooops.. sorry. I didn't mean to channel Darth Vader.

>On the other hand, I'm really not ready to give up Elizabethan theater as my
>favorite hobby.

And you would have to do that for what reason? Where do you think
Shakespeare got all of those ideas for his plays, anyways. ;-) He was
just able to polish the works of Italian Renaissance writers in some
fascinating ways. (OK, OK, oversimplification. I know.) I tend to do a
bit of Elizabethan theater work, and though it is OOP for my persona,
the Italians did have theater that was similar, so I don't really feel
it is inappropriate.

>What about you?  Are your perfectly happy where you are, or are there other
>cultures in which you'd like to dabble?

If I would consider anything different it would have to be England in
the 1400's, during the 100 years war. (I've always had an odd
fascination for Edward the Black Prince and I'm sorry to say that
Elizabethan England just doesn't do a darned thing for me.) I may
start an alternate persona to do just that, sometime, but for now I've
soooo much more I want to learn about Italy in the Late High
Renaissance.

Honos Servio,
Lionardo Acquistapace, Bjornsborg
(mka Lenny Zimmermann, San Antonio)