ANST - Changing Personas

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Wed Aug 13 14:26:55 PDT 1997

Heilsen, All!

I've been following the "changing one's persona and name" thread.  Whilst
it may seem impossible that a radical change can be effected, I guarantee
you that it can.

NO ONE in this kingdom could *ever* have imagined that Lady Elisabeth
d'Erisby ("Hey, Derisby!" to pretty much everyone in the kingdom) would
ever be anything other than an Elizabethan lady in corsetry.  But lo and
behold, one day out of the clear sky, this Elizabethan lady up and changed
her entire persona... and is now known as Mari ferch Rathtyen, Welsh
chieftess.  If Mari, as well known as she was as Lady d'Erisby, could
successfully change her whole persona from the late end of our period to
the earliest part of our period, then I suspect anyone can.

I don't recall, but I'm sure Mari can tell us... how much trouble did you
have getting folks to switch names when you changed?

As for me, I started a Viking Age Finn.  But I was a shy, retiring,
never-say-anything introvert in those days.  Instead of changing my persona
as I grew up, my persona changed *me*.  Over the years I became more and
more like Gunnora, and lost the shyness, fear of speaking in public, gained
the ability to talk above a whisper, etc.  This was mostly because when I
fist designed my persona I imagined Gunnora to be everything that I wasn't
at the time.

And as I've learned more and more about the Viking Age, I've been careful
not to allow the information to become a dusty archive of dry facts in my
head.  I really sit down after reading any source on the Vikings and
consider how the information related to Gunnora Hallakarva, what of it
would I have known, how would it impact Gunnora's daily life and routine?
This helps me to build a more Viking worldview, and in turn helps me be
mopre and more Gunnora all the time.

Mistress Siobhan, thanks much for the interesting topic you began!

Wæs Þu Hæl (Waes Thu Hael)

::GUNNORA::

Gunnora Hallakarva
Herskerinde
Ek eigi visa þik hversu oðlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Aðal
(Ek eigi thik hversu odhlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Adhal)