ANST - Another New Question

Keith Duke duke at gte.net
Fri Aug 15 07:20:36 PDT 1997

Ghia asks:
: What would be the ideal modern job for an SCAer.  It would need lots of
time
: off for eventing, a relaxed dress code (so the men can have long hair and
: beards if they choose), good money, etc.  Any ideas?
:

Demographically speaking (informal but interesting populace polls) show
that the majority of the players in my barony (Northkeeep) are involved in
fairly technical fields, ie computers/electronics/electrical, drafting,
engineering, ...as well as technical support type work. The self employed
are also present in fair numbers... including some folks who own a concrete
contracting business,  Another big chunk is public sector work -
city/county/state employees. The rest are amazingly diverse, but only
onesy-twosey's...

The technical fields and self employed related SCA players here usually
have (apparently) more time & more money to put towards playing. Don't ask
me for actual numbers, but this has been an on-going project that the
Hospitaler and myself have been talking about... Mainly because  we do get
a lot of "Well, what kinds of people play SCA" when we do demos.

Didn't really answer your question, but I suspect that those perfect jobs
are far and few between. Mostly because those of us with them are darned
well not getting out of them .. <VBG>

Piotr

Keith Duke - duke at gte.net
Member, Society for Creative Anachronism
Piotr Balomirin syn Barsukov, Seneschal
Barony of Northkeep (In glorious, green Tulsa OK!)
Northkeep Power & Light - I'm Curley, Moe & Larry are the other two...