ANST - RE: Authenticity v. Aesthetics

Mjccmc01 at aol.com Mjccmc01 at aol.com
Sat Aug 16 10:35:44 PDT 1997

Hello from Siobhan.

Just to add more grist to the mill, try thinking of the whole question this
way.  In period, all the people who are making these objects by and large
would have been artisans/merchants.  What sort of item would fetch a higher
price?  The higher quality, more elegant work.  Thus, for the medieval
artisan, who is doing this for a living, not for recreation, the "success" of
an item, leaving aside for the moment gratification of a job well done, etc.,
would be measured by how much he got paid for it.  So, in our context,
perhaps it is appropriate to place a higher value on "pretty things."

BTW, I don't know that I agree with the above, but thought I would toss it in
for comment.

Yours,
Siobhan.