ANST - Practical arts and sciences

Mon Aug 18 07:20:03 PDT 1997

<deleted>

>> I still would like to see some practical items. Brewer's: You buy your
>> apples as juice. How about a medieval apple press. I still don't think
>> it has to be a piece of art. Just fuctional, using medieval materials
>as you can. Breadmakers: how about an oven? ...

<deleted>

>> Stefan li Rous
>> markh at risc.sps.mot.com

As a baker, I'll stick my neck out a little and say that there is little
practical between a medieval oven and a modern oven.  Both are sealed
cavities with a heat source.  The difference is where medieval ovens
used mass to retain and distribute heat, the modern oven uses a
thermostatically controlled heat source to maintain temperature.
Neither is particularly suited for hauling around to events, although I
understand that two medieval ovens are set up at Pennsic each year.

The real differences in baking are in the type and qualities of the
yeasts and flours.  The subject is better suited to research papers than
practical display.

If you want to see something practical in medieval baking, ask a baker
to field prepare a loaf of bread using bake stone, bake stone and
ceramic cover, or a dutch oven (this last may not be truly period, but
it effectively simulates baking in an iron pot).

Bear