ANST - authenticity vs

Mark Harris mark_harris at risc.sps.mot.com
Mon Aug 18 16:07:16 PDT 1997

Lyonel said:

I concur with His Excellency's analysis of the catapult, but the catapult is
usually judged on its merits as a bit of siege engineering.  I would
classify this as a science. (Note, His Excellency refered to the catapult
builder as an "artisan," not an artist.)  I know--this is a difficult call.
A brilliant bit of engineering can be a work of art in and of itself.
Generally, though, I think we're talking about a bit of mechanical
engineering--the straightforward application of physics--a subject pretty
well rooted in the sciences.
<<<<<<

But we are talking about arts and SCIENCES displays. Not an arts display.
We should be judging such items on how they fit and display the sciences
of the day. And "sciences" includes crafts and technology not just the
pure sciences. We should not be judging such items on whether they are
pretty but on whether they do the job intended in a way that a medieval
person would comprehend or use.

Stefan li Rous
markh at risc.sps.mot.com