ANST - Sifters and Sieves

Wed Aug 20 09:12:29 PDT 1997

>>The discussion on baking, ovens and bread asked about period
>>sifters/sieves.  I don't know what anyone else was using, but Ican tell you
>>what the Vikings used (and in fact, Swedes in the countryside still use
>>even today)... they used a round, cup-shaped sieve made by naalbinding,
>>utilizing horsehair fiber.  Such sieves were used for sifting flour, and
>>for straining milk.  Milk straining is how most seem to be used in the
>>present day, but archaeological examples have been found with ground grain
>>trapped in the fibers.
>

>>Wes ?u Hel (Waes Thu Hael)
>
>>::GUNNORA::

I thought I had read about horsehair sieves, but couldn't find the
reference in my collection.  Do you happen to have a reference list
around?

Realizing that my memory needs jogging, I have delved into Elizabeth
David, English Bread and Yeast Cookery, once again, recovering the fact
that grain was sieved through cloth for many centuries in a process
called "bolting".

This reminded me that I had used flour sacking to sift flour in dusting
baking tins.  It's been a while since I've used the technique, since I
ran out of a ready supply of flour sacks.

Bear.