ANST - Honor and silence

Dennis Grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Sat Aug 23 22:31:23 PDT 1997

Salut, Cosyns,

Lyonel aisai.

Lord Stephan responds to my
>> What's worse, if this cheat wins a second Crown,
>> he becomes a Duke (or she becomes a Duchess).  Then we
>> can never get rid of his (or her) influence.

with

>I'm not sure what you mean by this. Is there some way we can
>ignore a cheating Count whereas we can't ignore a cheating
>Duke? Does a Duke get some kind of special privileges that a
>Count doesn't?

Yes.  Essentially, Ducal prerogative (which was initially supposed to have
been the right of Dukes to refuse to participate in Crown Tourney) has taken
on a nebulous life of its own in the SCA.  First, since a Duke has been
Sovereign at least twice, he is a potential wealth of experience for any new
Sovereign.  A Count, however, having only ruled once, might have simply had
a good or bad year. Thus, a Count's advice typically carries a bit less
weight than that of a Duke.  Typically, I say, because I know of many
exceptions.  Second, Duke is essentially the highest permanent rank a member
of the SCA can achievably attain.

Lord Stephan further notes:
>I thought the only differance between a Count and a Duke was
>that a Count learned from his mistakes.

That's cold, Cosyn, though I know a Duke or two who would agree with you.  I
think, usually, the only real difference is that the Count has not *yet* won
a second Crown.  In practice, however, Dukes are treated with more respect
and even awe than Counts both on and off the field.

lo vostre por vos servir

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace
Dennis Grace
University of Texas at Austin