ANST - Re: Re[2]: [Siege]: Gulf Wars and Trebuchet ammo

Eric Jackson jackser at okway.okstate.edu
Mon Aug 25 12:16:14 PDT 1997

To all good gentles who care about siege weapons and legal ammo.

                        Lord Owen ap Aeddan
Subject: Re: Re[2]: [Siege]:  Gulf Wars and Trebuchet ammo
Author:  "SCA Siege Engine List" <sca-siege at mail.wyvernhall.com> at SMTP
Date:    8/24/97 10:22 PM

At 08:21 PM 8/23/97 -0600, you wrote:

>   Owen,
>     Before the panic completely engulfs the known world, could you let the
>list know what rumors / facts have turned up conserning the use of
>tennisballs at the Gulf War?
>   Thanks,
>     Lord Robert of Vinhold
>
>     Lord Robert of Vinhold,
>

>        What I have read is that because of the rebar found in the tennis
>     ball ammo at the last Gulf Wars.  Now I am not sure if they are going
>     to ban all tennis ball ammo, but just in case I would like to know if
>     anyone has used something else for Trebuchet ammo?  I am not trying to
>     call wolf or start a riot and I am sorry for any confusion that my
>     originial post caused but I was just trying to be prepared for
>     whatever ruling that was passed down. So I am looking for alternate
>     ammo.
>
>                                Owen ap Aeddan ap Trahaearn

   Owen,
    As I understand the situation from Duke Fredrick of Holland (aka Flieg)
the rebar was used in javelins, not tennisball shot. Unless the marshal
that actually dealt with the situation can clairify this, that is all that
is truthfully known. I will closely question his Grace this coming Laborday
weekend and make sure of the ammo type being so weighted. The person using
this rebar pieces had tried to tell the marshalate that they were from the
West and this was legal there. His grace Flieg was at the war and was known
to the marshals, so they asked him. The answer was "What! No and Hell
no!".. The persons were unknown in the west and evidently did not have the
Western Rules for such. I know because I wrote those rules and have done
the research on seige weapons in the West for the last 12 years. Tennis
ball shot may have only one ounce weight added, including the tape. There
is a whole method spelled out for doing this safely. It does not include
rebar, dirt or any such material. The marshals need to check ammo and the
weight to do this properly just like any other weapon used. I would be
happy to help any kingdom marshal and interested parties to know how this
can be done and what to look for. I dont wish for any kingdom to ban a
perfectly good solution on the basis of someones lack of understanding.
There is a long running history for this type of shot and it works well, so
lets talk.
  Please cross post this message to your local list and anywhere anyone may
find this note to be relevant to the topic.
  Direct discussion to:
   Lord Robert of Vinhold
   Deputy to the Earl Marshal for Seige Engines, Kingdom of the West
   rcurtice at auctoritas.com

Help support this FREE mail list -- visit http://www.wyvernhall.com/sca/