ANST - Goof Toobs

Lord Larkin O'Kane larkin at webstar.net
Tue Aug 26 20:47:26 PDT 1997

On Tue, 26 Aug 1997 20:40:52 EST, you wrote:

>Heilsa all Good Ansteorrans and True...
>
>Kief here...writing from HL Lorraine's account.
>
>>Now if we could just figure out a way to elemionate the bounce-back
>>problem. A nock in the eye makes it hard to see well.
>>
>>Larkin
>
>Alrighty then, here I go... (scrape...scrape...as the soapbox gets pulled into
>position...) Now...I am going to make several...no, make that many people mad
>at me in the next few minutes. But since when has that ever stopped me before?
>
>Larkin makes a very good point. Bounce back is a problem...and a "nock" in the
>eye is no one's friend.

Wasail Cousin,  Thanks for taking the ball and running with it.  I
think problem the first can be solved with an additional screen
hanging from the helm [1 in 4 chain comes to mind as being a pretty
spiff addition.

>Problem the second: On the rapier side of the issue Ansteorra has banned the
>Thistle Missile from "regular" melee use. (Rightly so I feel; given the impact
>on an unarmored throat or temple.)

Wasn't aware of this. Guess I'll just have to start wearing my heavy
gorget when fighting light. It's required for slauger anyway so it's a
logical step in the right direction.

>  What does the Rapier Community
>think of the idea of using "Schlager helms" and leather or metal gorgets to
>protect these "target zones"?

I like the idea. I plan on getting one of the lobster helms made for
me like Don Giovani (and others) wear.  That and a gorget will solve
the arrow problem for me.    Well, it won't solve the problem  of
accurate incoming, but that's another story. :)

Larkin
===