ANST - Nock-proofing helms

J'lynn Yeates jyeates at bga.com
Wed Aug 27 02:02:38 PDT 1997

On 27 Aug 97 at 3:05, Dennis Grace wrote:

> I never cared for the look (very 20th century industrial) or feel (nose
> heavy) of the expanded metal grills.  What if we drilled holes in a lexan
> sheet?  It could be tucked inside the grill of a helm, so it wouldn't
> scratch and get tape-gummed, and the holes would allow us to breathe.  Am I
> missing something?

how about the medieval equivalent of "expanded mesh" ... fine
mesh mail (welded links for safety).  excellent "trapper" of frags
and random debrie (witness the tanker face guards of mail used in
WWI and i *think* WWII) designed to protect against shrapnel.  i
would mount it on the outside of the helm,  in such a way that it
"draps" free (stretched and secured mail is more likely to fail)

as a basic common sense addition, polycarbonate (not lexan) sports
glasses / goggles.  if willing to pay, can get your optical
perscription - an issue for those of us who wear contacts primarily
(was always unconformatble wearing them on the field ..)

'wolf