ANST - Face Protection

James Crouchet jtc at deliverator.io.com
Fri Aug 29 23:56:43 PDT 1997

> I have some thoughts about Combat archery.  I feel like it is very
> difficult to assure that helm modifications, sometimes viewed as
> temporary, are well constructed and up to standard.  Wouldn't it be
> easier for every one to wear some sort of goggles or eye-shields?
> This seems to be much safer than to trust a removable perforated or
> expanded metal screen.

Safer? I don't think so. Consider that the goggles:

- Don't breath well (i.e. sweat you can't wipe out of your eyes)

- Don't protect the rest of your face

- Don't work with the 3/4 inch blunts, where those are used.

- Cost a lot more than expanded. I don't know about perf.

In short, they are better than nothing, but not better than
perf/expanded. I speak as someone who owns a couple pair. I wear them
as a marshal, but I would be very unhappy if I had to wear them under
my helm.

Monsieur Doré