ANST - Re: long courts

Garth green at man.com
Tue Aug 5 13:52:46 PDT 1997

Dennis O'Connor wrote:

>  From: Garth <green at man.com>
> >The Oaths of Fealty required of the Knights and Territorial
> >Barons/Baronesses is a re-creation of the backbone of most period
> >govenrments.
>
> It would be nice if you could provide a source for that.
> Many times on the Rialto I have seen learned peoples
> way that this was not true.  For example, Knights were
> typically in fealty to a local Lord, not the King.  And Barons
> were, at times, pretty independent, which led to the
> Magna Carta and all other manor of foul things.

True, but in theory and within the legal framework of Fuedalism all
oaths led directly back to the King.

> >They are necessary also to the SCA. If the King and Queen
> >are to be our leaders the military (Knights), officers and Their
> >Majesty's local representatives (Barons) must be loyal to the Crown. A
> >public Oath of loyalty that goes both ways aids in assuring harmony.
>
> You are a lucky person, to have attained your age without
> ever experiencing the political reality that belies your opinion.
> Or at the least, you have never lived in "downtown Atenveldt".

I said it helps to assure harmony. As always there are no absolutes. At
age 49 and sixteen years in the SCA ( 4 local and two regional offices)
I still enjoy this game. There are good politics as well as bad
politics. Maybe I just have a thick skin, but I reject your cynical
attitude. I have played in Atenveldtb but never lived there. I would
have no problem living in Ariz but would probably never live in
Atenveldt.

> >Gifts can and should be given at a place other than Court.

> Sometimes yes, sometimes no.  There was once a group that
> presented a peacock to Their Majesties with much show. I do
> not think anyone minded that they did so in Court:. Quite not, really.

I stand on my words.

> >Remember, Court is there to carry on the business of the Kingdom - not
> >to keep you personally entertained.
>
> The business of the Kingdom mainly happens in private, I think,
> and is directed towards the goals of the SCA. That goal, regardless
> of high-falutin' words we say to the IRS, is primarily that we entertain
> each others and ourselves in a way that provides a pleasant
> education about the Middle Ages. Therefor, if Court is to serve
> the businness of te SCA, it must entertain.  And so we must think,
>  why else would people go and watch in such numbers ?

I stand on my words.

 Dennis O'Connor               dmoc at primenet.com