ANST - 1400's garb

Dieterich cjw at vvm.com
Thu Aug 7 16:10:27 PDT 1997

>*********
that I, a 15th C.
>afficianado, deem to be the Gospels according to the 1400s and both are in
>the same series- "The History of Fashion" series.  The first one
>concentrates on late-gothic europe and the second concentrates on Italian
>dress c. 1400-1485.  I have, as is my way, forgotten the names of these
>precious tomes but luckily for you and I, Mistress Jeanmaire owns *both*
>books and Baroness Clarissa owns the Italian one.

*****************************
EL SNIPPINSKI

Got those names for you...

'The Rennaissance Dress in Italy, 1400-1500' by Jaqueline Herald 1981
ISBN 0-7135-1294-6

'Late Gothic Europe, 1400-1500' by Margret Scott 1980
ISBN 0-263-06429-8

If you pay $75 for either of these, I don't believe you'd be paying too much.

******************************

>There is one other bright star in the quest for fine 15th C. knowledge, but
>it is hotly contested:  The Medieval Soldier, by Gerry Embleton and John
>Howe 1994, ISBN 1-85915-036-5.

******************************

It occurs to me that I have failed to mention *why* this book is contested
at all.  Its content is almost entirely photographically recorded replicas
or interpretations of 15th C. pieces... hence, the garments you see are all
tertiary sources.  That's the bad news.  The good news is that the folks who
have done all this work are legitimate experts who work *only* in period
materials.  Much of the arms and armor is the real thing, on loan to
employees of the establishments that house them (doesn't help us with
*garments* per se, but you have to take these guys seriously).

This poses a question for the Laurels out there:

Is there such a thing as a rock-solid tertiary source?  One that can
universally be recognized not only as 'acceptable' but as 'irrefutable'?

Getting another ball rolling,

Dieterich