ANST - Dusk Bunny

dennis grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Aug 8 20:56:01 PDT 1997

Greetings, Cosyns,

Lyonel ici.

>> Hey Squire,
>> How about the term Dusk Bunny.

Centurion Treschen ponders:
>OK, now I'm a confused squire.  Seeing my squire brother given terms that
>make him sound as if he is heading for the retirement home make me think
>I've misunderstood.  I thought a person was knighted at the Zenith (noon)
>of their career, not at the twilight. ;)

I know, it was a jest; still, behind every jest . . . .

If we (the belted circle) are on our toes, squires are knighted *way* before
they reach anything like a *zenith*.  What use is an over-the-hill knight?
Think of the white belt as our equivalent of the Asian black belt:  when you
receive it, you're shodan--senior student--ready now to learn through
teaching.  The zenith--martial mastery--is still a *long* way off.

It won't be long now (if it hasn't already begun) 'til proto-Sir
Bunny-Oops-I-Mean-Alarek and proto-Sir Dieterich begin to realize that the
more one understands about a martial art, the more there is left to learn.
Perhaps this is why you usually don't get knighted until you stop expecting
it.  Once you realize how much remains unknown to you, you suddenly feel all
the less worthy.  At that point, you're ready to begin the process of
learning in earnest.

Zenith?  More like the dawn.

In any case, he's still at the twilight of his squireship.  Hmmm.  I wonder
why squires and apprentices get ships while knights only get hoods?

lo vostre por vos servir

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace
Dennis Grace
University of Texas at Austin