ANST - New question

SOC STUDIES camlewis at swbell.net
Tue Aug 12 22:58:00 PDT 1997

> Hello from Siobhan.
>
> Most of us chose our personas fairly early in our SCA life, before we knew a
> lot about the various time periods and cultures.  My question is this:  if
> you had it all to do over again, would you choose the same time and culture?
>  Would you choose a different one?  Why?

> What about you?  Are your perfectly happy where you are, or are there other
> cultures in which you'd like to dabble?

Thanks for the new question first of all
When I first joined the SCA I, like the majority of newcomers I believe,
jumped on the Norse bandwagon.  With my name, jewelry, embroidered
tunics, scramasax at my side, I found that I liked the later period
stuff much more.  I was given lots of grief when I came to an event
dressed in tights...it was not that they were tights but that I was
wearing them that shocked people.  Since the change I have NEVER had a
alternate early period persona (not saying that I wont) and my good
clothes hang in my closet.  The jewelry and sax have since found new
homes but that part of me that was 9th century has gone to being the
same loveable guy in tights and a doublet instead.
	With being a 16th century Norse kind of guy looking for a living in
wars is much easier than sitting at home and as such it is very easy to
travel various parts of the world looking for new fabric to make clothes
out of...You might find a nice velvet in Italy or silks in Germany, or
linens in England all to make new clothes from, in the local fashion of
course.  Therefore you can have many different styles of clothing from
all over the world and not be stuck in one place in your time period.

The Renaissance Viking
ALREK KANIN pat. pend.