ANST - authenticity vs a

maddie teller-kook meadhbh at io.com
Fri Aug 15 17:10:29 PDT 1997

Mark Harris wrote:

> Perhaps there should be a seperate contest for practical items vs.
> the one for artistic items?

There has been such an arts and sciences competition.  Mistress Kestrel
held one at Defender of the Fort last year. She wanted people to enter
utilitarian objects.

One comment on how items are judged at a competition. Its often been
said, how do the judges pick a winner when there are so many different
items displayed?   One thing is, the items are NOT compared to one
another.  Each item is compared to what the judge feels is the ideal
interpretation, re-creation, etc of that object.  Subjective???
Unfortunately yes.  The best way I can explain it is to compare this to
a mundane dog show a la Westminster.  All those dogs are NOT compared to
one another but compared to  the standard for their breed.  The dog that
most closely fits that standard (based on the judges' interpretation) is
the winner.
So, again, any A&S entry should be compared to a standard for that
entry... be it cooking, clothing, calligraphy/illumination, etc.  IF
standards could be created, this would decrease subjective aspects of
judging a piece.

just my 2 cents again!
meadhbh