ANST - authenticity vs aesthetics

Baronman at aol.com Baronman at aol.com
Mon Aug 18 13:47:02 PDT 1997

In a message dated 97-08-18 13:33:28 EDT, -Karl von Augsburg writes:

>A simple un-adorned box is not, in my opinion, art.  It's construction
>may be very worthy of praise.  There's a certain skill involved.  I
>don't believe this is art though.
>
>Art evokes beauty.  An artist brings out the beauty.

Karl-
  I must disagree with you on this point.  In any beggining Art appreciation
course, the first thing that is taught is that "ART" is anything that causes
an emotional reaction or response upon the veiwer.  Under that criteria,
graffitti on a wall is as much Art as an Ansel Adams photograph.
      If you veiw a simple un-adorned box and think, "That is crap- I hate
it", that simple reaction constitutes it as art.  I do understand what you
are saying as far as construction techiques but that box maybe "loved" by
another individual, because of the texture or roughness or crude
construction. This other person's interpretation would thus place the box in
a position as "Art" also.   True, most art does evoke beauty, but a full size
catapult, hurling styrofoam rocks at a pretend castle, is not a pretty thing
but does invoke a favorable response from me and I would deem the builder as
a true artisian and the catapult as a work of art, thus not all art is
beauty.  So too, may a simple un-adorned box be construed as Art.

 A maker of simple un-adorned boxes
 My two pence worth

 Baron Bors of Lothian