ANST - authenticity vs

dennis grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Aug 18 17:52:54 PDT 1997

Greetings, Cosyns,

Lyonel, aisai.

In resopnse to my
>>I concur with His Excellency's analysis of the catapult, but the catapult is
>>usually judged on its merits as a bit of siege engineering.  I would
>>classify this as a science. (Note, His Excellency refered to the catapult
>>builder as an "artisan," not an artist.)  I know--this is a difficult call.
>>A brilliant bit of engineering can be a work of art in and of itself.
>>Generally, though, I think we're talking about a bit of mechanical
>>engineering--the straightforward application of physics--a subject pretty
>>well rooted in the sciences.

Lord Stephan says
>But we are talking about arts and SCIENCES displays. Not an arts display.
>We should be judging such items on how they fit and display the sciences
>of the day. And "sciences" includes crafts and technology not just the
>pure sciences. We should not be judging such items on whether they are
>pretty but on whether they do the job intended in a way that a medieval
>person would comprehend or use.

Hmmm.  Seems I didn't make myself clear.  I concur.  In fact that was part
of my point.  Catapults, I am contending, belong in A&S competitions
*because* they're exemplary of a medieval science (siege engineering).  I
was responding to Baron Bors' presentation of the concept of catapult as
"art."  I agree that, generally speaking, we shouldn't be judging such items
"on whether they are pretty."  (If a catapult builder demonstrated, however,
that mangonels during a particular period were typically adorned, then I'd
say we should judge this attribute as well as the functionality of the critter.)

lo vostre por vos servir
Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace
Dennis Grace
University of Texas at Austin