Specialy A&S Events (was Re: ANST - aesthetics and function)

Wed Aug 20 10:50:32 PDT 1997

<deleted>
>>After having given a great deal of thought on some way to make A&S
>>competitions seem more period, or at least more viable to a period
>>persona, we in Bjornsborg have decided to take a slightly different
>>tact for our next event. We have been doing some asking around to get
>>folks with a good knowledge of some area of A&S to act as "patrons" of
>>some form. These patrons will actually be judges, but only for the
>>specific form. So we might have a patron saying they need a Stained
>>Glass (possibly to include some of the other "glass" forms, like
>>enameling) piece to place in their local church. Or someone may say
>>they are looking for a new cook to sponsor. In this situation you
>>would bring the piece you wish to enter to the "patron" for
>>evaluation. They will then, hopefully, provide comment and discuss the
>>piece with the artisan.
>
>>Problems I can foresee. Documentation could provide some distraction
>>from the period flavor of the discourse between entrant and judge we
>>are trying to encourage.Making sure the entrants know and can find the
>>judge for their particular style.

<deleted>

>>It's certainly not an all encompassing solution to anything, but it is
>>something a little bit "different". The angle we are trying to grab
>>with this is to make an attempt at giving A&S a period flavor, as most
>>competitions tend to pull strongly into mundanity.

<deleted>

>>Honos Servio,
>>Lionardo Acquistapace, Bjornsborg
>>(mka Lenny Zimmermann, San Antonio)
>>zarlor at acm.org

Oral defense of one's efforts is certainly period for academics.  I
don't know if it was true for artisans and guildsmen, but it makes
sense.

Since you are planning to use judges in specific categories rather than
in general, you might consider providing the judges with the
documentation before the review and discourse.  That might improve the
period flavor.

Finding a judge for a particular entry may be interesting.  It might
require soliciting entries before the event.

I, for one, will be interested in how this experiment turns out.

Bear