ANST - Safe helms....ect...

Dieterich cjw at vvm.com
Thu Aug 28 13:37:09 PDT 1997

Almar hacked into a large stone the following:

>Heilsa Brothers and Sisters
>Any of you who know me know that I have perm 14 ga metal over my eyes.
>After a few years now .....actually after the first woods battle at
>Pensic, I would never want bars on my helm again.
>  A little modification to your helm and a small cost is a very small
>price to pay for "almost" fool proof safety for your eyes!  If one would
>be interested, a helm my even be "upgraded" to have that safety
>permenant.  For those who are concerned that this may cause a lack of
>sight, the only time I have any trouble in any way shape or form is in
>those torch light tournies where the torches are lacking.  I think my
>helm looks ok, but then again it was designed for perf metal.  Just my 2
>cents worth....

Truthfully, I like Almars suggestion quite a bit and have admired his helm
for some time... very safe design and I think the perforated metal, when
painted black does less to ruin the aesthetics of an open-faced helm than
our goofy sport grills.  It also doesnt chew up a chainmail drape as bad as
the bars should you decide to use that tactic to improve the historical look
of your equipment- a technique I wish more spangenhelm owners would use, I
might add.

Ooooor..... although less economical, you could go to a closed-faced helm-
an armet, great heaume, pig-faced bascinet... heck, go all the way and get a
nice german sallet!  What could be better than that?  A safe, tres-chic,
period helm from the same folks who brought you the Messerschmidt and the
BMW... *bliss*.

Dieterich ;)