ANST - Treatment of New People

Charlene Charette charlene at flash.net
Thu Aug 28 16:16:40 PDT 1997

Michael Mayer wrote:

> 'Tis indeed unfortunate that one of our dear cousins was treated so
> unkindly while attending Our event.  We must be ever vigilant to the
> "stranger" next to us.
>
> Hospitalers, it is important that We take a moment away from what We are
> doing and greet those unknown to us.  Offer such services as needed by
> those who come to us seeking such counsel.
>
> Cousins, remember Your first days in the Society.... how strange and
> intimidating the Current Middle Ages were (and still are)... Your first
> polyester T-Tunic....A whole new vocabulary, customs, culture  and
> traditions to learn!
>
> Live The Dream,
>
> Michael
> Deputy Kingdom Hospitaler

Hey!  I don't discriminate -- I'll drag *anyone* into a dance <VBG>.
Seriously, I've been amazed at the number of new people (either new to
the Society or from other groups/kingdoms) have gotten involved in the
barony through the dance guild.

Thinking back to my new days -- my advice is forget coronation as a
first event <g>.  Everyone goes off into meetings and socializing with
friends and you (the new person) have no idea what's going on.  If you
do take a newcomer to coronation, please stick with them and give them
commentary on what's going on.  We did manage to find a few other new
people and we were able to be lost together.

--Perronnelle