ANST - Gleaning / barrowing arrows wood firberglass arrows

James Crouchet jtc at deliverator.io.com
Thu Aug 28 20:27:06 PDT 1997

> You can NOT glean arrows form the field you can barrow arrows that
> have not been fierd/hit the gorund from an other archer. That is why
> arrows are supposed to be marked for a 28" draw, if not marked the
> base of the cone is presumed to be 28".

Our rules say nothing about marking arrows. They say:

"The maximum length of the shaft shall be 28 inches."

That does not look ambiguous to me. IF your arrows are longer, chop
em off.

Any arrow that hits the ground must be reinspected before being fired
in any combat archery. This is not a hard rule to under stand is it?
If an arrow hits the ground it is considered to be fired and must be
reinspected before being used again. What part of this is unclear?

To be exact the rules say:

"Wooden shafted quarrels shall not be gleaned from the Field. Such
quarrels must be inspected by the appropriate Marshal(s) before being
used again and must be inspected after each and every firing."

So you are correct. There is no rule against borrowing. I was
simply mistaken, just as you were about being able to use arrows
longer than 28" if marked. The moral is, READ THE RULES. If you and I
had done so, we would not have egg on our faces now.

M. Doré