ANST - Lessons

KiheBard at aol.com KiheBard at aol.com
Fri Aug 29 06:38:23 PDT 1997

In a message dated 97-08-28 12:44:05 EDT, Tyrca wrote:

>> I will return to my own fair realm, I will volunteer my services to the
>>  hospitalar, i will pledge my household to watching after newbies, I will
>>  lay aside my best for the golden key.
>>  I have come away from this experience a whole lot wiser and a lot more
>>  humble.
>>  May the dream be preserved in spite of us.
>>  Lord Davydd of Isles
>
>  I, for one, feel distressed that this could happen anywhere, especially
here
>  in a place that I have found to be friendly and welcoming.  And I feel
> guilty for all the times at large events that I was so self-involved as to
ignore
>  any of those around me that are trying to find their way in our Society.
>  Lady Tyrca Ivarsdottir

Davydd and Tyrca both seem to have brought away their own lessons from
this exercise. What more does it offer for the SCA as a whole?
What guiding principles might improve the Current Middle Ages?

Be courteous at all times, esp. and particularly when dealing with
any who are or are perceived to be newly-arrived in the C.M.A.

Never "order" others about (except in time of emergency), always
request politely. If the courtiers in question had been set up in
advance of Davydd's single chair, I *might* be willing to understand
their collective boorishness -- but not their apparent methods.
>From the description provided in the account given, it is not clear
what the geography might have been. I am well known for allowing
"second chances" -- perhaps, collectively, we may determine
which event was being described and might thereby be accorded
the balancing account of proceedings.

Always acknowledge offers of assistance, and accept or refuse
(or defer until later) as applicable.  An autocrat turning away
volunteered help won't be getting much backing when it is really
needed later. (Trust me: autocrats, you will ALWAYS need help
later!) *Plan* to accomodate impromptu offers of assistance.

Remember, every one of us, that "paid membership" does not
equate with "experienced member". In my own case, I was a
paid member and local officer with not more than a half-dozen
or so meetings or events behind me. Admitted, one of those
occasions was the First Ansteorran - Middle War...

Consider also the "old-timer" who returns to the SCA after
many years abscence. Do you expect them to know
automatically what customs have changed, what new
restrictions have emerged? (Authorizations for fighters
caught me a little by surprise, as did the increasingly
narrow & unforgiving attitudes of certain peers.)

There are no doubt other instructions for our future that may
be drawn from Davydd's experience. It remains for each of
us to do so in the privacy of our own thoughts, and in the
publicity of our individual and collective actions.

Amra
Un-repentant bard, Bard, merchant, past hospitaller --
and teacher