ANST - Combat opportunities and such

Dennis and/or Dory Grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Dec 10 15:08:01 PST 1997

Salut, Cozyns,

Lyonel aisai.

Here I am, once again writing to this list instead of finishing those last
two papers.

First, I'd like to report on last night's Bryn Gwlad fighter practice.  We
had a fine turnout.  His Majesty jogged us through some field commands and
worked on a new flanking tactic.  We also walked through a few
bridge/breach tactics.  Afterwards we fought three bridge battles and three
of open-field scenarios.

Second, I'd like to note that the weather forecast for tomorrow night is
still promising, but it might be a bit chilly.  It's perfect fighting
weather--you can bop 'til you drop and not sweat an ounce.  Come on out and
fight, but if you're used to wearing next to nothing under your armor, you
might consider wearing a set of sweats.  Again, if we have enough fighters,
we might run a bridge battle or three.

Remember, as we get closer to the Solstice/Chanukah/Christmas/Kwanzaa
period, fighting opportunities become increasingly scarce, so come on out
and fight.  (I'm not an addict--I can quit anytime I want.  Really.)

Third, we need an indoor arena for inclement weather.  Ideally, we want a
location that's fully enclosed(although even a covered parking area would
do for most nights), lighted, and free of charge (or damn cheap).  The
space should also have high ceilings, concrete (or otherwise
indestructible) floors, and lots of open space.  In my old barony in
Artemisia we--at various times--used the dance hall at an Elks Lodge, the
garage bay of a high school auto shop, and a college squash court no one
else cared about.  Does anyone in the Austin area have a connection at work
or through some other association that might allow us the use of such a
space one night per week?

lo vostre por vos servir,
Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace

Dennis Grace