ANST - Stefan's files for January

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Thu Dec 11 13:03:01 PST 1997

A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past seven years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting bits of
useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles submitted
to me by their authors. In order to make this information available to others,
I have placed this information in a series of files I call Stefan’s Florilegium.

Florilegium - (literally, "a gathering of flowers").  In medieval times,
Florilegia were collections of choice tidbits (from Ovid, Aristotle, various
popes, church scholars, etc.) arranged topically. Typically, a florilegium is
huge, encyclopedic, and contains only choice selections from particular works.

Anyone interested in these files is encouraged to request a copy of my complete
filelist by email. I can send this filelist or any of these files by email or
by copying them to a computer diskette if you don’t have WWW access.

Those of you who have World-Wide-Web (WWW) access can get these files at:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html.

    Ld. Stefan li Rous   (512)892-0036   RSVE60 at email.sps.mot.com

Here are the new files for this month:

cl-Ireland-msg        Medieval Irish clothing.
drying-foods-msg      Drying foods in period and for the SCA.
emb-blackwork-msg     Blackwork embroidery.
fd-Ireland-msg        Medieval Irish food. referances. recipes.
fd-Scotland-msg       Medieval food of Scotland. recipes.
Good-Fd-Feast-art     Description of a fancy feast done in Lochac.
ill-fd-feast-art      A feast consisting of illusion foods.
peppers-msg           The introduction of peppers to Europe.
puddings-msg          Medieval puddings. recipes.
root-veg-msg          Medieval and period root vegetables.

I have also added two more good articles from Mistress Nicolaa de Bracton of Leicester:

13C-Crusade-art       "Putting the Thirteenth Century Crusade into Context"
R-EP-Costume-art      "Researching Early Period Costume".

Here are some of the files that have had substantial additions this past month:

beans-msg             Medieval, old-world beans and peas. Recipes.
block-printing-msg    Block printing for cloth.
bread-msg             Medieval breads and grains.
cl-Ireland-msg        Medieval Irish clothing.
eggs-msg              Egg storage. Recipes. Substitutions.
embroidery-msg        Period and SCA embroidery.
exotic-meats-msg      Period and SCA exotic meats. Swans, ostrich,
                         eels, peacocks, crawfish, dormice, snails
felting-msg           Felting and fulling of cloth.
fish-msg              Medieval fish dishes. Fish in the SCA.
mottoes-msg           Latin mottoes for SCA use.
soup-msg              Medieval soups. Cooking soups at events. recipes.
pottery-msg           Medieval pottery, kilns. modern equivalents.
yeasts-msg            Medieval use of yeast. Using it in the CMA.
---
Copyright 1997, Mark S. Harris, 5628 Wagon Train Rd. Austin TX  78749.
Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the
contents are left unchanged.

<end>

I am always looking for new articles that will be of interest to SCA folks.
Any authors of such articles should contact me by email. The copyright stays
with the author and I will withdraw or update an article at any time upon
request by the author.

Also, if there are any editors out there who would like to be on my list to
receive this article by email each month, please send me a note by email.

Mark/Stefan