ANST - A&S "skill ranks"...

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Mon Dec 22 19:49:17 PST 1997

Good Morning,

  This last weekend, I had a discussion with someone regarding the award
  structures yet again. This involved my opinion that one must be a
  master (lowercase spelling, expert) within a single field if they are
  to deserve an Iris of Merit. (Assuming this is their *only* recognized
  field of study/practice.) While discussing this, there seemed to be a
  minor disagreement regarding what a master in a field is, so I decided
  to go to the one place I knew had rankings in a field near and dear
  to my heart for comparison. I was quite shocked that their opinion was
  a lot closer to the one I found than my own.

  It seems that the Middle Kingdom's Brewers' Guild has a ranking and
  membership structure well defined which meant it was going to be easy
  to find someone else's definitions. Unfortunately it's just these
  definitions that shocked me.

  Their ranking structure has novice, apprentice, journeyman and
  master levels. This is exactly what I wanted to see.

  They go as such:

  Novice: Expressed interest in joining the guild. Non-voting.
  Apprentice: Voice interest, attended 1 business meeting and submitted
    one presentation. Non-voting.
  Journeyman: Submitted 3 acceptable journeyman quality presentations,
    presented 1 class and be voted in by a majority of the membership.
  Master: Shall include research, reconstruction, performance, teaching,
    proctoring, watch-dogging and choreographing of the Brewing and
    Vintning arts.

  Guild business meetings are held at most every other month, and at least
  quarterly. A tasting, with evaluations of presentations, are held at
  every meeting or on other occasions as voted by the members. (These
  meetings are in addition to local Hall meetings.)

  Now my concern, or opinion, is that these ranks are lower than my own
  standards. As you see, there is no concept of "master quality"
  presentations, and no need for further presentations beyond the 3 to
  become a Journeyman. It is my opinion that to be a master, there has
  to be a few things met including "master quality" work(s) and continued
  practice of the art. I think that the items listed (except maybe
  watch-dogging and choreography) are necessary as well. Maybe in a
  Guild structure these are necessary items but not for an individual to
  be a master. (Of course since there are no definitions within the
  By-Laws of these items, I'm placing my own on them, which may be wrong.)

  What are other people's opinions of what a master in a field of study
  is or should be? Am I expecting too much from a master? Is my concept
  more on the order of the "Great Chefs of the world" than simple mastery
  of a field? I wouldn't be surprised if my ideals were unreasonably
  higher than others since I seem to be repeatedly setting them too high.

  I will be discussing this same topic on the Middle Kingdom Brewers'
  and Vintners' list once I get a copy of the final passed By-Laws to
  go over.

  Thanks for your time and input.

Ciao,

--
Phelim "Pug" Gervase  |  "If you don't worry 'bout the future
Barony of Bryn Gwlad  |   sooner or later it's the past